What Kinds of Things Can Happen Without Regular HVAC Maintenance?
Owning a home comes with a lot of responsibilities—there’s always something that needs to be tuned up or replaced! One critical component of each home that needs regular maintenance is the HVAC system. Continue reading to learn what can go wrong if regular HVAC maintenance in Tampa, FL is neglected:
- Dirty interior air: Pollen, dust, mold and other nasty indoor allergens can thrive in HVAC systems and ductwork. Though there will probably always be some contaminants floating around in your home, neglecting to maintain your HVAC system will only worsen the issue. A thorough cleaning of your system and ducts eliminates allergens and ensures healthy indoor air.
- Restricted airflow: The allergens mentioned above don’t just make it hard to breathe—they actually reduce the amount of air that flows through your home. With restricted airflow comes a hot and stuffy home that’s not properly cooled. You may feel warm spots in some rooms, leading to discomfort and unhappy family members. A cleaning and a professional tune-up will guarantee as much airflow as possible.
- Higher energy bills: Is opening your monthly cooling bill a scary experience? If so, your system probably isn’t being properly maintained. A well-maintained HVAC system doesn’t have to work as hard to heat and cool your home, meaning it uses up less electricity. Schedule seasonal tune-ups to slash your monthly bills.
- Mid-season breakdowns: A broken AC system in the middle of the summer is the ultimate nightmare for many homeowners out there. In fact, not having central AC in the summer can be downright dangerous for some demographics. The best way to prevent a failing unit is to keep your system well maintained at all times.
- Shortened lifespan: HVAC systems can last up to 15 years if proper maintenance procedures are followed. Failing to maintain your system, however, could drastically reduce its lifespan. Along with paying to repair your system more frequently, you may need to replace your system after only five or 10 years if you neglect to maintain it.
What kind of maintenance should be done?
HVAC maintenance in Tampa, FL differs from other types of home maintenance in that it’s almost never-ending. These are the top things that need to be performed by both a technician and the homeowner:
- Professional tune-ups: Homeowners should schedule a professional maintenance call at least twice a year. Hiring a pro to tune up your system in the spring and fall prevents a whole host of issues and extends your system’s lifespan.
- Self-inspections: In between maintenance calls, we advise checking up on your system by yourself. Check to ensure your system isn’t making strange noises or running up your electric bill. Also, you’ll want to ensure the exterior is free of any debris.
- Filter replacement: Replacing your system’s air filter helps keep your interior air clean and prevents dust and debris from entering the system. Check your manufacturer’s recommendations, but most filters need to be replaced every few months.
Although we recommend having professional HVAC maintenance in Tampa, FL performed in the spring, it’s never too late to call our team at Kenny’s Air Conditioning & Heating Services, Inc. We’ll send someone out right away to ensure your system is ready to handle Florida’s hot summer temperatures.
Categorised in: HVAC Service