Florida is known for its warm weather practically year-round. While many people use traditional air conditioners to keep their homes and businesses cool, there’s another option available. Evaporative coolers, also known as swamp coolers, are another great way to keep temperatures comfortable in your Tampa, FL space. They can also bring your cooling costs down. Here’s an overview of the benefits you’ll enjoy when you install your own evaporative cooler.
How they work
If you’ve ever enjoyed a cool breeze coming off the water, you’re familiar with how an evaporative cooler works. Instead of blowing air over refrigerant-filled coils, which absorb the heat and cool the air, swamp coolers blow air over water. The water absorbs the heat, so you feel cooler as a result.
Instead of refrigerator coils, evaporative coolers use dampened pads. The cooler brings in air from outside, blows it over the wet pads and sends the cooled air out into your home. These coolers use a pump to continue keeping the pads wet, so you can enjoy cooler air all day and all night long.
Benefits of swamp coolers
Although swamp coolers might not be right for everyone in Tampa, FL, they offer significant benefits:
- Less expensive than traditional air conditioners: Evaporative coolers require only a water pump and a fan, so it’s far less expensive to run them throughout the summer. While traditional air conditioners can run into the thousands of dollars, swamp coolers are usually around $4,000 for the best cooling systems available. A similar central air conditioner might cost $8,000 or more.
- Better for the environment: Evaporative coolers only use water, unlike air conditioners. Air conditioners use chemicals that give off CO2 emissions, which are greenhouse gases. That’s not only harmful to the environment, but can be harmful if you breathe it in. Overall, evaporative coolers are better for the environment.
- Easy to maintain: Traditional air conditioner maintenance can run hundreds of dollars per year, while swamp cooler maintenance is easy to do yourself. While you do need more frequent upkeep (such as changing the pads and keeping the unit filled with water), evaporative coolers are cheaper and easier to maintain.
- Quiet: Swamp coolers are significantly quieter than air conditioners. In traditional air conditioners, the condenser makes a lot of noise when chemicals are converted from liquid to gas. Evaporative coolers are quieter because they only use a fan and water pump.
- Adds indoor humidity: Traditional air conditioners can make your skin, eyes and nasal passages feel dry. If you have a difficult time breathing comfortably in an air-conditioned home, an evaporative cooler can put some much-needed humidity into your indoor air.
If you’re interested in an evaporative cooler for your Tampa, FL home or business, Kenny’s Air Conditioning & Heating Services, Inc. can help. We offer traditional air conditioner services as well as heating and evaporative cooler maintenance. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our installation, maintenance and repair services. We offer free estimates on all sales, service and repair.
Categorised in: Evaporative Coolers