How Often Should Air Ducts Be Cleaned?
Is air duct cleaning necessary in your home? After all, you don’t really see them, and as long as they’re working, no one can blame you if you assume that they’re functioning properly. The bad news is that yes, they do need to be cleaned. The next question is about how often you need to clean your home air ducts.
Here’s a quick guide to why and how often your ductwork should be cleaned by qualified professionals.
Why do I need to clean my air ducts?
Did you know that your indoor air quality can be up to five times more polluted than the outdoors? That’s because dirt, dust, mold, pet dander and tracked-in allergens circulate around your home. If your ductwork hasn’t been cleaned since the house was built, this can contribute to the problem—even if you’re cleaning or changing your air filter regularly.
When your ducts are dirty, your whole home is dirty. If you want to improve your air quality and health, it’s important to regularly clean your ductwork.
How often do I need to clean my air ducts in my home?
Generally, you should have your ductwork cleaned every three to five years. As long as you keep changing your air filter every 30 to 90 days, you can go years in between cleanings; however, there are a few situations where you might need to have them cleaned sooner rather than later. These include:
- Damp, musty odors: If you smell a damp, musty odor but can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from, it might be your ductwork. Moisture—especially in humid climates—can collect in the ductwork and form mold or mildew. When you notice the smell, it might be time for ductwork cleaning.
- Pest infestations: Whether it’s rodents, insects or other intruders, have your ductwork cleaned when you have an infestation. Animals and insects can make their way into your ducts and stay there—sometimes until the next cleaning. If you smell odd odors or have discovered other evidence of infestation, have a professional clean your ducts.
- Excessive dust and debris: Dusting can seem futile even when your ducts are perfectly clean. When you notice that there’s a lot of dust and debris floating around your home, that could be a sign that it’s time to clean the ductwork.
- Respiratory illness or worsened allergies: If you have a respiratory illness or notice that your allergies seem worse, your air ducts might be to blame. Have them cleaned so that you can breathe easily. In fact, you might want to increase your cleaning frequency if you have chronic respiratory issues.
- Moving into a new home: Finally, when you move into your new home, have the air ducts cleaned before you settle in.
Air duct cleaning is necessary at home, and the team at Kenny’s Air Conditioning & Heating Services, Inc. can help. Call us today to book an appointment for your next air duct cleaning, and get ready to breathe easier.
Categorised in: Duct Cleaning